Holding Close

Life just doesn't make sense sometimes.

On Monday, E and I went to a birthday party and a visitation. The party was to celebrate my great grandma's 95th birthday and the visitation was to say goodbye to my cousin's sweet baby girl who went to be with the Lord at only 17 months old.

Such a stark difference between the two. With sweet baby girl, it's natural to ask why she had to leave us so young. In my great grandma's case, she wonders why she is still here.

A lot of "Why?" questions have been floating around my mind lately. I feel like there are no specific answers to my questions, though they always come back to this definite truth --> God is sovereign. He is all-knowing, all-wise, all-powerful, and all-loving. His ways are beyond my understanding.

This doxology from Romans 11 says it best:
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable His judgments,
and His paths beyond tracing out!
“Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been His counselor?”
“Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?”
For from Him and through Him and for Him are all things.
To Him be the glory forever! Amen.

ROMANS 11:33-36
(emphasis added by me)
At the visitation and funeral, family members reminded me to hold our little man extra close. Children are truly a gift from God and I need to remind myself that though he is in my care, E still belongs to God.

These days we're enjoying the time we have together as a family because you never know what tomorrow may bring.

Mind-Clearing Trails

E and I went with Leo to his army weekend so we could join him for the family day picnic. While Leo was working at the armory on Saturday, E and I explored the town's parks. AMAZING.

Lately I have felt like just being quiet and spending time outside. We ran 5 miles, wandered around the beach, played on the playground. They had a few beautiful non-technical trails that were a bit too bumpy for running with the stroller. I walked and took pictures while E slept.


These two paths remind me of the choice we have to make daily. God has given us free will to choose living in darkness or light, death or life, eternal suffering or eternal hope.


We found a little meadow full of dandelions. Have you ever taken a close look at a dandelion? God created them with such amazing detail! I had never noticed those weird curly things before (To any plant enthusiasts - what are those called???).


E was fascinated with the Canadian geese on the lake.


My hiking partner didn't last too long! He was wiped after our day of exploring.


On the way home, we stopped for supper with my brother and sister-in-law. We found these delicious yogurt sticks called "Chobani Champions" and E actually likes them! (So thankful he eats something besides graham crackers and cheese now...)

This one must have been made especially for me! (check out the riddle)


This week I've been thinking about my cousin and her family. My heart breaks for them. How do Christ-followers choose joy when they are in the midst of devastating trials?

I can't fathom the pain a parent goes through when they lose a child. My great grandma (who just turned 95) buried all three of her children yet she perseveres. I am convinced that it is her strong faith in the Lord that keeps her going and her love for all of her grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren!

As Christ-followers, we all have the hope of eternal life that can get us through the most devastating of life's trials.

I'm meditating on Romans 8:28 today. God works ALL things - the mountain-top highs and even deep valley lows - for our good.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. ROMANS 8:28 (emphasis added by me)
How do you clear your mind?
What Bible verses do you focus on in life's trials?

Linking up at Fitness Friday.

Comments

  1. I LOVE trail running. I thought I would mention my favorite part of trail running but I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's baby girl. That is devastating. It's so true to hold your children close and cherish each and every moment we have, because you never know when it will be your last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Life is so short, though sometimes we forget that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#RuntheYear 2022 + Knockaround Slingshot Snow Goggle Review

Race Report: Fargo Marathon 2023

Save Those Toes | KT Tape Blister Prevention